Volunteering in your community while embracing the RA's guiding principles of Virtue, Mercy, and Charity is something that embodies who we are as a fraternal organization. I hope that everyone has the ability to volunteer at least once this year to give back in your local community and feel the pride of helping people in need.
It is best to pick a charity that you know and love, and to make sure your effort and time is manageable. Also, it is important that you have fun giving of yourself.
As an example, living in Charlotte, North Carolina, I have been volunteering with a local food bank, "Nourish Up," delivering meals to people in need of assistance. I really love meeting people and have been very fortunate to have met some wonderful people on my routes who really appreciate the meals and visits. I can choose my schedule, which makes it manageable and fun. I have also been able to make friends at Nourish Up.
My wife and I, along with a group of other volunteers in our neighborhood, have been involved for the last several years bringing some joy to young kindergarten students for a chance to enjoy a Christmas with gifts. We purchase gifts for the students taught by a teacher in our neighborhood who is really dedicated to her students. The volunteers get a list for each student that contains items they need for use on a daily basis, along with a few toys. These are underprivileged children who come from families that live at or just above the poverty level. The families cannot afford the basic necessities that we normally take for granted. For us, we get a great feeling that we can make a difference in someone's life.
The pictures are of me with the Nourish Up employee and me with the teacher on the left, and the lead organizer is on my right.
Mark Hefner
Supreme Orator


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your post.
Our Home Office will review the post and publish shortly.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.